The Oral-Systemic Myth
Abstract: As emerging research continually identifies the dental provider as a key member in the management of the Oral-Systemic link, it is becoming increasingly imperative that dental providers become aware of the Oral-Systemic Myth. This 10-minute talk opens a Pandora’s Box of fallacies regarding the role of the dental provider in the association between oral and systemic disease, and provides an overview of provisionary modalities in the active management of the oral-systemic link.
· Identify the myth regarding the management of the oral-systemic link by dental providers
· Discuss how implementation strategies of oral disease as they relate to the oral-systemic link
· Integrate specific action steps into clinical practice that will better enable the dental provider to take an active role in oral and systemic disease management
The ABC's of HbA1c
Abstract: This 20-minute lecture reviews the recommended paradigm for the assessment of a diabetic patient. Speaker will discuss the CDT-approved code scheduled to be released in 2018, permitting in-office point of service HbA1c testing as well as recommendations for patient (A) assessment, (B) blood sample gathering and (C) counseling. Course is appropriate for dentists, dental specialties, dental hygienists and dental assistants.
· Review current recommendations for assessment and medical history gathering of a diabetic patient
· Identify equipment and the clinical provision for gathering HbA1c tests as related to the CDT-approved in-office point of service HbA1c testing code for 2018
· Discuss counseling strategies and guidelines for the implementation of dental services for diabetic patients
AutoImmune Disorders: Celiac Disease
Abstract: This 20-minute lecture reviews the journey one faces upon acquiring the signs and symptoms of an autoimmune disorder. Speaker candidly discusses her personal journey with the diagnosis and sequelae of living with Celiac Disease. Course is appropriate for dentists, dental specialties, dental hygienists and dental assistants.
· Understand signs and symptoms of an autoimmune disorder
· Identify steps taken to prevent the destruction associated with Celiac Disease
· Identify oral manifestations of autoimmune disorders as they relate to early diagnosis